Monday, February 8, 2010

#108 - Tom Hall


Card fact:
I don't have a fact. But Hall shares the name of the father of my best friend when I was growing up. Had I known who Tom Hall was when I was a kid, this would be the source of endless amusement.

What I thought about this card then: Never saw a single one of Tom Hall's cards. He was one of those players who disappeared just as I was getting to know baseball, and I didn't become aware of him until decades later.

What I think about this card now: Hall sure is happy in a lonely looking ballpark.

Other stuff: There is not a lot of information out there about Hall. He was mostly a reliever for some pretty good teams in the late 1960s Twins and early 1970s Reds. Apparently, he had good stuff, and put up good numbers as a reliever, but injuries got in the way. He was traded to the Mets just as the Reds began back-to-back World Series title campaigns. He pitched in 36 games for the Royals in 1976, but didn't receive a card the next year. He was then released by the Royals in 1977.

Back facts: Hall was just 158 pounds. Can you picture a pitcher weighing that little now? Tim Lincecum weighs 170 and everyone thinks he's tiny.

Other blog stuff: The green-light green combo has crept within one of the orange-brown combo, which is the overall leader right now. But orange-brown is about to put together a major streak. Will it ever be caught? The suspense is killing you, isn't it?

2 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Unlike Barr, at least Hall looks like he wants to have his picture taken.

LoCoDe said...

Hall was the opening day starter in 1969 for the Twins.

Their first 2 games that season were at KC, they lost them both in a total of 29 innings (12 & 17)

Hall had some great K numbers for 3-4 seasons.