Saturday, January 15, 2011

#423 - Clay Kirby


Card fact: The purple-pink border combo has just tied the green-light green border combo for third place overall with this card. It will move ahead of green-light green with the next card.

What I thought about this card then: I didn't see it. The first Clay Kirby card I knew was his last one, in the 1976 Topps set. He's displaying a chaw on that card. Unfortunately, no chaw on this card.

What I think about this card now: It's no match for his 1972 In Action card, which is one of my favorites.

Other stuff: Kirby started out in the Cardinals organization, but he was selected by the Padres in the expansion draft and became a starter for that first San Diego team in 1969. He ended up leading the league in losses with 20, just as a pitcher for an expansion team should.

Kirby remained a regular part of the Padres' starting rotation until after the 1973 season when he was 8-18. He was traded to the Reds for a disgruntled Bobby Tolan and Dave Tomlin. Kirby won 22 games over two seasons for the pennant-contending Reds, but he didn't pitch in the postseason for Cincinnati in '75. In the offseason, he was dealt to Montreal for Bob Bailey. He went 1-8 in 22 games for the Expos in 1976 and that was his career.

Kirby died in 1991 of a heart attack at age 43.


Back facts: I don't know, that cartoon looks more like Fred Flinstone than Tarzan. Still a nifty little cartoon. Leroy "Tarzan" Parmelee pitched mostly for the New York Giants in the 1930s.

Other blog stuff: Charo was born on this date. The year is up for debate. When I was a kid, Charo was one of those actors that was on TV everywhere, and I couldn't figure out why. She'd be on The Love Boat one minute, The Tonight Show the next, the Donny & Marie Show the next. She'd come out, do her little "cuchi, cuchi" act and leave me totally perplexed as to why people were laughing. That '70s humor. I couldn't figure it out sometimes.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

Is it just me or does Kirby look about 10 years old? My grandpa would always perk up when Charo was on with Carson...I'm just sayin'.