Friday, December 3, 2010

#385 - Dock Ellis


Card fact: Another blue-orange card. This is my favorite color border combination and it's really on a streak now with six of the last 22 cards being blue-orange.

What I thought about this card then: As I mentioned in a tribute post to Ellis after he died, this was a card that I first saw in my friend Jennifer's house. She collected some cards in 1975 and the Ellis card was my favorite of hers. I thought everything about the card was perfect. Finally, that same year, I obtained the mini card and didn't have to lust after someone else's card anymore.

What I think about this card now: Dock Ellis was a Junior? I never knew that.

Other stuff: So much has been written about Ellis in recent years that I'm sure everyone knows his colorful baseball story -- the no-hitter on LSD, the curlers in his hair, the charges of racism. Let's just say that Ellis was a damn good pitcher, but some other things got in the way, some of it his own doing, some of it not.


Back facts: I also mentioned before how cool it is that there is a cartoon about a doctor on the back of a card of someone named Dock. And yes, Dock was Dock's real first name.

Other blog stuff: If you have the regular-sized Dock Ellis card and the mini Dock Ellis card, then you must feature them together:

3 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

You're mini Ellis represents him well. A very nice card that's been through the ringer.

Is that Bobby Brown the same one who was the President of the A.L.?

night owl said...

Yup, same guy.

MAK said...

How about his gloved throwing hand?