Wednesday, November 18, 2009

#34 - Steve Renko

Card fact: This card looks startlingly similar to the previous yellow-blue card in the set. All of the yellow-blue cards have been pitchers, so far.

What I thought about this card then: Didn't have it. But the 1976 Topps card of Renko was one of my favorites. I don't know why. Now that I look at it, he's got an awful look on his face. In fact, I just looked at all of Renko's cards and there is only one (1983 Fleer) in which he seems to be smiling. Such pained expressions.

What I think about this card now: I love it when you can see advertising in the background. The Coca-Cola ad will pop up in later cards in the set.

Other stuff: You better hang on, Steve. That field has a rather steep incline.

Back facts: Satchel Paige's first name is spelled as "Satchell" in the cartoon. Also, the "fadeaway," could mean just about anything. Christy Mathewson's "fadeaway" was a curve ball. Carl Hubbell's "fadeaway" was a screwball. Bob Feller described it as a slider. And a knuckle ball has been called a "fadeaway," too. I wouldn't be surprised if Paige threw all four pitches.

Renko's 1972 season really stands out. What happened there? Also, you can see by the write-up that Renko was an all-around athlete. He did start at quarterback for Kansas during his college days.

Other blog stuff: I have the first 324 cards scanned. It's a race to see if I can get them all filed before my scanner quits this gig.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

You know, if they made up a bunch of game used pants/jersey cards of Steve, people looking for any swatch other than boring old white would be sorely disappointed.