Thursday, December 17, 2009

#60 - Fergie Jenkins

Card fact: One of the most awesome shots in the 1975 Topps set. There aren't many action photos in the set, so when one comes along -- even though it may seem pedestrian by today's standards -- it really jumps out.

What I thought about this card then: I'm beginning to get really pissed off that I didn't see all these amazing cards when I was a kid.

What I think about this card now: This card makes up for Jenkins' first card as a Ranger, the 1974 Topps card. In that card, he is hatless and the photo is cropped so you can't see Jenkins' team name, which would have been the Cubs. It's basically a terrible card.

Other stuff: Jenkins is the first ballplayer I ever heard of being involved in drugs. In 1980, he was found in possession of drugs at an airport in Toronto. I remember thinking, "Oh, that's bad," but not much else. I wonder how many players have been connected to drugs since that time? Hundreds, I'm sure.

Back facts: There's that blank space before the totals again. I don't know the reason for that.

Also, look at Jenkins' stats between 1967 and 1974. With the exception of the 1973 season, that is one impressive body of work. I mean, I knew he was good and in the Hall of Fame and all, but my gosh, for awhile there everyone must have thought he was going to win 20 games a season every year of his career.

Finally, Charley Pride's name is mispelled as "Charlie" in the cartoon. Pride played baseball in the Negro Leagues and in the minor leagues for the Yankees. He's a longtime fan of the Rangers, which is possibly why he was mentioned on the back of Jenkins' card.

Other blog stuff: Only 138 cards in the set left to be scanned.

5 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Ranger greatness...ok, really Cub greatness, but us Ranger fans take what we can get. I need to get that card. I may need to do my own Nebulous Nine. Or Terrific Ten.

zman40 said...

Charley was a ballplayer? That is awesome!

Eggrocket said...

I've got the set, so I know I have this card, but for the life of me I can't ever remember seeing it before. I would think I'd remember such a great card.

CaptKirk42 said...

Fergie Jenkins one of my all-time faves. As a kid I always knew of him as a Cub I think I first saw him as a Ranger on his 1980 card, or maybe its his first Rangers card I liked. I've got two of that one for some reason.

Flitgun Frankie said...

What's cool about the background of this card is you can see the stairs leading up to the elevated platform of the famous 7 train from Times Square to Shea Stadium. It was right behind the right field bull pen. Jenkins had a couple of bad days at Shea while pitching for the Cubs In 1969.