Sunday, May 30, 2010

#215 - Bobby Valentine


Card fact: This is about the sixth or seventh Angels card that has shown the player wearing a black patch or piece of tape on their left sleeve. If it was worn as a memorial for someone, I can't find it here. If anyone knows why so many Angels wore that in 1974, I'd love to hear the reason.

What I thought about this card then: I vaguely recall someone having the mini card.

What I think about this card now: It's odd to see Bobby Valentine so young.

Other stuff: Whenever I think of Bobby Valentine now, I think of his stints on ESPN and his time as a manager with the Mets and Rangers and how colorful he was/is during those times. But Valentine was once a promising young player for the Dodgers -- the team's first-round draft choice in 1968. He struggled a bit to stay in the majors with L.A., but still had enought promise that the Dodgers were able to get Andy Messersmith for Valentine in a trade with the Angels. Then Valentine suffered a horrific leg fracture in 1973 when he got his spike caught in a fence while chasing a flyball. After that he bounced from team to team and never fulfilled that promise.

I was always amused by Valentine and wonder what his behavior was like as a player. He must've been crazy.


Back facts: You can see that Topps thought Valentine still had enough promise to deserve a card number that ended in "5."

Other blog stuff: Birthday time: Today is Manny Ramirez's 38th birthday. Win a World Series before you turn 39, Manny, and I don't care what you do after that.

3 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

In 1974, Bruce Heinbechner, a promising, young, left-handed pitching prospect for the Angels was killed in a springtime car crash.

night owl said...

Thanks, Steve.

Play at the Plate said...

Good info Steve. I guess I should have read the comments before I went off on a wild goose chase. Bobby was colorful is an understatement.