Saturday, May 29, 2010

#214 - Harry Parker


Card fact: This is the final card issued during Harry Parker's playing career. In fact, he had only two cards.

What I thought about this card then: Never saw it. And it took me a long time to nab this card when I was completing the set a few years ago. I'll never figure that out.

What I think about this card now: Oh, it's good to see tilted backgrounds back again. ... Other than that, I'm really trying not to make a Harry Potter/Harry Parker reference.

Other stuff: There is not a lot of information to be found on Mr. Parker, which is surprising since he was a regular reliever on the staff of the 1973 National League champion Mets. Parker didn't fair quite as well in 1974 and was traded to the Cardinals after a worse season in 1975. He ended his career with the Indians in 1976.

EDIT: Parker died on May 28, 2012.


Back facts: Lots of family talk on the back of this card between the Parkers and the Delahentys. Ed Delahenty is the most famous the Delahenty brothers and was one of the game's first great sluggers. He is probably most known for his death. He was mysteriously swept over Niagara Falls in 1903 after apparently being kicked off a train for being drunk and disruptive. The story has always intrigued me partly because I used to work in Niagara Falls and a lot of the places brought up in the story are familiar to me.

Other blog stuff: The No. 1 song in the country in this date was "Shining Star" by Earth, Wind and Fire. Shining star for you to see what your life can truly be. Yowwwwwwwww!

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

I think I'll go see how the other Delahenty brother's fared.