Monday, December 14, 2009

#57 - Dave Johnson

Card fact: I think Davey Johnson (I like to call him "Davey") would agree that this photo is much better than the photo that Topps used for Johnson the previous year.

In 1974, Topps showed Johnson swinging and missing as the ball visibly sails past him (although I suppose it's more likely that he fouled it off). This might be one of the great humiliations on cardboard. Nothing like having kids laugh at you whenever they pulled your card.

What I thought about this card then: Alas, I didn't see it.

What I think about this card now: It took me a good, long time to find a centered card of Johnson. For awhile, the card I had featured virtually no border on the left-hand side. And every time I looked for a replacement, I kept finding the same thing: a very narrow border on the left. But, finally, at the last card show I went to, I found a well-centered Johnson (keep your cracks to yourself).

Other stuff: It's difficult to be a much-traveled figure in the majors and be loved everywhere you go. Johnson seems to be well-liked in Baltimore and Atlanta, where he played most of his career. And he managed the Mets to a World Series title, so they like him in there. But, speaking as a Dodger fan, I was not thrilled with him, during his managerial days in L.A. Not good times.

Back facts: Johnson's most famous season as a player was his 1973 season when he hit 43 home runs. That is 25 more home runs than he hit in any other single season of his 13-year career. If he had done that in, say, 2003, people would be checking his urine.

Other blog stuff: Birthday time: Former Orioles starter Rodrigo Lopez was born on this date in 1975. He actually pitched for the Phillies a few times last year. I did not know that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the color combo on this one. Reminds me of little alexander the grape candy for some reason.