Wednesday, December 9, 2009

#52 - Darrell Porter

Card fact: The first card in the set to feature someone wearing glasses.

What I thought about this card then: I had the mini card as a 9-year-old. To this day, the regular-sized card looks strange to me, and I can say that for most of the cards that I knew only as minis in 1975.

What I think about this card now: A mudslide appears to be pulling down the stadium! Oh, sorry, it's just another tilted background.

Other stuff: Porter's battle with drug and alcohol addiction is well-chronicled. He was a feel-good story in the 1982 World Series, winning the MVP award. For years, he seemed to have his life turned around. But when news of his death hit the papers, I knew immediately that his past had returned -- and this time it was fatal. It's a very sad story.

Back facts: For years, if someone asked who made the last unassisted triple play in the major leagues, fans instantly said, "Ron Hansen." His 1968 solo triple was the only one that occurred between one by the Tigers' Johnny Neun in 1927 and one by the Phillies' Mickey Morandini in 1992. But since Morandini, an unassisted triple play has happened six more times.

What's the reason for that? Don't know. My fuddy-duddy-grumpy instinct is to blame it on the horrible base running in the majors these days. But that doesn't explain why there were six unassisted triple plays in the 1920s, including two on back-to-back days!

Other blog stuff: The Porter entry gives me a chance to display this:

I received it the other day from a collector, known as mr haverkamp on The Bench. You'll note the Porter card in the center of the panel (as well as the glorious creases). But the real reason I received this 1975 Hostess panel is because of the Ron Cey card. It's one I need of my favorite player.

Food issue cards from the '70s are the best. And I know I should keep this panel intact, even if it's creased beyond repair. But I'm sure I'll break it up. Cards are meant to be 2 1/2-by-3 1/2. They're meant to run free!

3 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

I never knew Porter as a Brewer. I remember him mainly for the mentioned 1982 World Series and his brief stint with the Rangers.

With the number of players wearing glasses back then, I'm surprised to see he was the first in the set. I wonder how many cards in the set feature guys with glasses.

Eggrocket said...

"His...Grand Slammer ... tied score in regulation time."

A-Grand SlamMER?
B-Regulation time. What is this, football?

Jim from Downingtown said...

The only thing I remember about Porter in the 1982 WS is that he had an annoying ritual in the batters box: tapping his wrists, forearms, etc, and pushing his glasses up his nose, AFTER EVERY PITCH!