Wednesday, February 3, 2010

#103 - Rick Miller


Card fact:
Rick is one of two players with the last name "Miller" in the set. The other is Bruce.

What I thought about this card then: I didn't have it. But Miller always looked to me as if he belonged in "The Three Musketeers," especially on his 1970s cards.

What I think about this card now: Severe, severe tilting going on in the background.

Other stuff: Miller was known as a terrific defensive outfielder, and he could hit fairly well. But he always battled for playing time on the Red Sox. First he had to contend with Carl Yastrzemski, Tommy Harper and Reggie Smith, then it was Jim Rice, Fred Lynn and Dwight Evans. When the Red Sox reacquired him from the Angels, where he was a starter, Miller started for a bit, until the Red Sox landed Tony Armas. Then Miller was back on the bench again.

Miller is married to Carlton Fisk's sister.

Back facts: What tortured writing in the bio! I won't get out my red pen, but I will say the word "which" needs to be replaced with "that."

Other blog stuff: I'll go with a birthday: speaking of Fred Lynn, today is Lynn's 58th birthday.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

Since they had the "weight of a baseball" question, they should have listed his weight as 576 baseballs. For his sake, I hope Carlton Fisk and his sister don't look too much alike.