Friday, November 6, 2009

#22 - Dave Cash

Card fact: This is the first card of Dave Cash in an actual Phillies uniform. He is airbrushed into a Phillies cap on his 1974 card, which also features a teammate from the Pirates (Cash's old team) standing right next to him.

What I thought about this card then: Cash is one of those players that I had an inexplicable fascination with when I was a kid. He was one of my favorite players, based solely on this card.

What I think about this card now: Well, I'm trying to figure what it was about the card that made me so interested in Cash. All I can come up with is he had a stylish Afro and facial hair. I was one weird 9-year-old boy.

Other stuff: This is the first card in the set in which the player's entire body is in the photo. That won't happen again until card #58.

Back facts: Lots of stuff here:

1. This was one of my favorite cartoons in the set as a kid. I'm going to keep track of all those favorites and see if I can come up with my most favorite of the whole set.

2. Cash had a freakish number of at-bats in 1974 with 687. The following years he'd have 699, 666, 650 and 658. I thought it was so cool that he came to the plate that many times. But I'm wondering if it played a part in his career lasting only until 1980.

3. Players without middle names rocked. They still rock.

Oldie but goodie: Here is the Cash card I had in 1975. I may have traded for this card. I don't think I pulled it from a pack.

Other blog stuff: Exactly 277 cards scanned, 383 to go.

2 comments:

Eggrocket said...

LOVE the beat up card. A card with a story.

Flitgun Frankie said...

Both Don Money and Dave Cash started with the Pirates and were traded to the Phillies. But they were never teammates. They could go together with Hall of Farmer Kid Nichols and Brad Penny on the all-financial team.